Today’s Monday Question is simple:
What’s the last novel you read?
I don’t have much to say on this one because you probably already know the answer if you read the blog daily.
Just last week, I reviewed The Confessions of Nat Turner. It’s a great novel if you don’t mind some clunky narration by William Styron. That’s the only drawback. Confessions is an intense and moving novel.
So what about you—what’s the last novel you read? Did you like it? And would you recommend it?
How often can you say a book changed your life?
This outstanding article by Joseph Schuster at The Millions illustrates how Lucky Jim changed his life. Lucky Jim? The story of a sad, beaten-up, self-deprecating assistant professor at a no-name college in England? Yep. Lucky Jim.
That just goes to show—when it comes to literary tastes, we all appreciate different flavors.
Schuster talks about his annual tradition of reading Lucky Jim in the fall—and what (or if) he expects to learn something from each reading. Many of you who do the same with a favorite novel will probably relate:
View original post 371 more words
“Jazz is a remarkable story that will stay with you long after you read it.” – Katie Jennings
So I’ve decided to offer my stories and novels as part of two distinct bundles: e-book and paperback.
“I completely fell in love with Cristian Mihai’s beautiful way of writing.” – Emma Snow
The e-book bundle contains 4 novels, one novella, 4 short stories, a compilation of essays on art and writing, and a compilation of short stories written with Anca Dunavete.
It costs only $4.99 (I know, a bargain) and can be purchased here. It’s available in Kindle, EPUB, and PDF formats, so you can read them with any e-reader or smart phone or even on your computer.
“Simply written, simply expressed, it is a gem of a book […]” – F.J. Schurr
Secondly, the paperback bundle. It contains my novels Jazz and The Writer, and also…
View original post 122 more words
Funny Fate By Rebeca,10th D There was one sunny day, different from the other days, perfect for something perfect. Relaxing, enjoying the sun and the light wind coming from the West. I’m just a butterfly, you … Continue reading
Frosty Footpath – winter snow (Photo credit: blmiers2)
By Elena,10-th D
Christmas was two weeks ago. Everything was flawless and was in it’s place. And now let me tell you what happened to me!
We were looking forward to Santa’s coming but I fell asleep and I had a dream or a nightmare, I don’t know what it was. And in my dream I was dressed up, all in red and I was arranging my living room. On the fireplace there were placed socks, colored socks , and I didn’t expect to hear someone talking. Who was it?
Behind me there was nobody .Nobody in front of me either. Under the bed I heard noises .I went and looked. There were small socks that complained they had been forgotten: Left alone, lost. They wanted to spend Christmas with their parents.
What could I do?
I talked a lot with them. Finally I realized that their parents were in my room , in my drawer.
It was a happy ending.
- Winter Memories – Christmas Lists (withthatshewrote.wordpress.com)
- What To Do With Mismatched Socks (apartmentguide.com)
- Crazy Color socks (deesie.typepad.com)
- Chomping Predatory Socks – The Shark Socks Give the Impression Your Feet are Being Devoured (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- The Behaviour of Socks (isthatcoffee.wordpress.com)
- About Rudolph the Reindeer (ecology.com)
- Keep Calm and Santa!!! #6~ Santa’s a Deer! (gloryfic.wordpress.com)
- Why Santa Claus, Elves and Flying Reindeer are More Than Tall Tales (tinystepsmommy.com)
- Erie lights up for holiday season (goerie.com)
- The Truth About Santa (ctworkingmoms.com)
By Silvia,10-th D
Before I give you my straight opinion on the ’Posh people’ i should really explain who they are,what is their purpose and if you even should waste your time thinking about them.
If you look up the word „posh” in the dictionary you would most likely find this:a person that is elegant and fashionable,glamorous and filthy rich.They represent the class from our society that gets the best of everything,is never disappointed(is that so?)… basically they live the life of kings and queens and some of them don’t even deserve it. But who am I to judge THEM, if i don’t really know them personally…or maybe I do:their life gets advertised on every matter there is.Sometimes it drives me crazy to see so many details concerning their lifestyle,their choices. I mean i understand when some of them are known philanthropists and their humanitarian work gets published but i don’t really need to know what color their bedroom drapes are and if they have a house in every country on the planet.
Unfortunely,people these days enjoy reading about somebody else’s life and decisions.I must confess sometimes it is tempting even for me but I try not to insist on this kind of publicity.I know i have no chance to make a difference but maybe someday people will realise how many stupid things they do and say.
I know that all I’ve said until now about posh people would make you think that I am totally against them but I do have some respect for some of them.I respect the ones that have worked for everything they got and the ones that are not born rich and actually make an effort to become someone you would look up to.I can proudly say that i stand by the side of these „posh people”.
I’ve often been asked the question:”What would you do if you were a millionare and a posh person?”.I always give the same answer:I would take advantage of the situation I am in and use it to do great things all around the world and also it would be an honor to meet some of the ifluential people from our society.
Articles have been written on the fact that posh people often feel
and mocked at for the lifestyle they are taking,their accent,their way of dressing and acting. In my opinion I don’t think that we should judge them based on the way they look or on the things they own,I think we can have an opinion and if we choose to express it publically we can have manners like they do and try not to sound like uneducated monkeys.
At last you’ve heard my opinion about „posh people”and I hope you can respect it and not rule it out.I am not saying that I am perfectly right about everything but based on the things I have heard about this class of our society I think it is a pretty well given opinion.
- An Appetite for Aristocracy (citizenfable.wordpress.com)
- LIFE Business Meritocracy (orrinwoodwardpress.typepad.com)
- Superman vs. the Myth of Aristocracy (tor.com)
- Why Middle Class Education only Serves the Elite by Controlling the Poor… (familycourtmatters.wordpress.com)
- Is Democracy Possible In A Corrupt Society? (lunaticoutpost.com)
- The Financial Super-Storm of 2013 (sgtreport.com)
- Too Posh to Cut Costs – Research from Savoo.co.uk Finds that the British are too Embarrassed to use Vouchers (prweb.com)
- What is Freedom? (10): The Ability to Do Things (filipspagnoli.wordpress.com)
- Money = cause of humans problems. Revering the chains enslaving you = Failure. 1% = FAR from elite. (qezmoneyfms.wordpress.com)
- Aristocracy at its Most Entertaining-Peter C. Bradbury’s “Stonebridge Manor” is a Delightful Romp in the English Countryside (prweb.com)
- Excelsior College Launches Online Workshop to Combat Writing Deficiencies Among English Language Learners (prweb.com)
- 89. Grammar (1kthoughts.com)
- Learning English As a Second Language (delasalleinstitute.wordpress.com)
The Penguin Leader
Once upon a time, in the world of penguins, there was a cruel leader who used to rule upon the entire iceberg where they lived. He got a large quantity of fish for himself and his people got just a little fraction of the food. The leader was fat and lazy and he was just staying on his ice throne and gave orders.
The penguins wanted a change, so they organized an election to choose a new leader. The new leader was a skinny and tall penguin with grey feathers. I do not know why they chose him. I think he promised them more food or more laws or more rights. So, they voted for him and the new leader was that grey skinny penguin. They did not know that he would sell their iceberg in exchange for fish to homeless penguins, and run away with the whole amount of fish he thus had obtained.
They worked together very hard to hunt back the exact quantity of fish in order to buy another iceberg , larger and in a better area. They could do it , of course, because there was a lot of fish in the sea.
So, the penguins realized they did not want a leader anymore, and consequently they acted for themselves from that moment on. This story tells us that is not important to have a leader.
- David Attenborough: ‘I wouldn’t be prepared to sit on an egg’ (guardian.co.uk)
- Penguins of the Planet (earthrangers.com)
- The Random Penguins Tumblr- Cute Illustrated Penguin (refinery29.com)
- Exclusive: New Club Penguin Emotions To Come Soon! (oil999cp.wordpress.com)
- Some Penguins Dressed Up In Christmas Outfits (buzzfeed.com)
- Freeze Your Friends At Club Penguin’s Christmas Party 2012! (clubpenguincheatscrew.com)
- Penguins of Our Lives (imissyouwheniblink.com)
I started to walk around the iceberg and I met a penguin. First he said “hello”
and I was very scared, but a few seconds later he started to speak like a normal’ MAN-like-penguin’. This made me curious and I started to investigate. I thought it was an illusion because it was so cold. In front of me there was a group of penguins, and they were eating. They turned around and run after me. I started to run but they hit me with a fish and I became unconscious. When I woke up the penguins told me that they had not hit me with a fish, but I had fallen and hit the ice with my head. They also told me that I was OK.
Half an hour later I was up and about. There were a lot of penguins saying “hi” and “how are you?”
I was glad I had made new friends.
- Penguins, Antarctica (photography.nationalgeographic.com)
- Me and Penguins or should I say Penguins and I? A little bit of humour (ramblingsfromamum.wordpress.com)
- New emperor penguin colonies discovered (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Penguins dive into icy Antarctic water to hunt for food (dailymail.co.uk)
- Penguins (icemelting2012.wordpress.com)
- Penguins: The Math Behind The Huddle (bluesyemre.com)
- Researchers Reveal Science Behind Penguin Snuggling (geekosystem.com)
All my mornings start like that: i wake up, i wash my teeth after that, i take my clothes and go to school.A strange
and beautiful sensation conquers my soul,because when i leave my home i see trees,green trees, that change every season.I can’t live
in a world where the moment i leave my house i see factories, cars and technology poluting our planet.
I m living in a bad world where i see people who think only about themselves.
Every day i watch the news and a see things like:a forest was burned down,the wood is destroyed, many forests dissappear, but after the news is over
the subject disappears too, nobody plants another tree instead nor is anybody interested in that anymore.I can’t destroy the nature,i have a bad
feeling when they cut a tree, or when they kill animals.
The trees are important and we must take care of them.
- Plantwatch: Now the prolific ash tree is being savaged by a fungus (guardian.co.uk)
- Tunnel Vision (leemalerich.wordpress.com)
- Listen / Trees are trying to help ! (thriveonnews.com)
- Shining Axe- A Poem (thebatamonblog.wordpress.com)
Before and after
By SILVIA 10-th D
When i met that crazy old history fanatic I didn’t realize how much he would change my life. The moment he told me that our city was under attack i almost laughed in his face, but I didn’t have the time because in the next five minutes people started falling from the sky. At first I couldn’t make sense of what was going on and i couldn’t believe that actual people were falling from the sky and they didn’t even hurt themselves on the way down and that was because they were no ordinary men and women, they were AMAZONS!!!
They had swords, bows, shields, some had a distinctive flag wrapped around their arms, some were on horses, others on tigers, lions. It was unbelievable!!! And then i realized that they came among us with the purpose of taking over our planet and rule it. Our army thought it would be pretty easy to take down some of , and i quote:”these mentally disturbed animals”. But what they didn’t figure out was that the amazons possessed a force greater than any weapon: magic. One simple spell and every piece of land belonged to them. Then they destroyed every factory and every piece of equipment that they could find. For some it was a miracle and for some a nightmare.
We became their servants , being weaker and not as smart as they were. After their race died we still continued to live without technology, factories, because we came to the conclusion that before all of that had happened we were self- inflicting pain and the amazons, by coming to our planet were a blessing in disguise.
- Two Swords IS Enough! (Luke 22:38) (klbellwether.com)
- Planet of the Apes: 5 Film Collection Blu-ray $22.99 (forthemommas.com)
- REPOST: The Bridge of Swords, Revealed – from Kyron through Lee Carroll (jhaines6.wordpress.com)
- Their Majesties King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden in south Minneapolis. (VIDEO) (royalcorrespondent.com)